Timothy J. Looby, Partner
vCard - email@example.com - (952) 442-7707
"I help people by trying to minimize the emotional and financial trauma of divorce. I first came to this firm because it struck me as a place where they did things the right way."
Tim Looby considers his role in the family law practice at Melchert Hubert Sjodin as a voice of reason and guidance for clients who are going through a challenging or difficult period of life.
"I try to help them see that it doesn't have to be drawn out and ugly. I point out when both sides seem to be speaking different languages and how they can come back to the table for some resolution."
His knowledge and reputation in area courts makes Tim an asset to clients as he works to move each case forward, whether it be marital termination, an adoption or custody issue. "The process varies from county to county and it takes time to build a good reputation like ours," he says. "The court officials trust that when we file the paperwork, it is accurate and honest."
Tim was a social studies and photography teacher before attending law school and spends some time in that setting today as coach for the Waconia High School mock trial team. Creating a balance between his interest in teaching, his law practice, and family allows him to serve clients at the top of his game.
B.S., summa cum laude, Bemidji State University; J.D., University of Minnesota Law School
Awards & Honors
- Member of the Family Law Section of the Minnesota State Bar Association
- Member and Past President of Eighth District Bar Association
- Volunteer Attorney, Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services
- Recognized as a "SuperLawyer" by Minnesota Law & Politics magazine
- Facilitator at "Divorce Camp" Conference sponsored by American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Minnesota Chapter
- Super Lawyer, Minnesota Super Lawyers magazine, 2004 – 2006
- Granted Fellowship in the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- Member and Past President of Waconia Lions Club
- Coach of Waconia High School Mock Trial Team
- Church Choir and Quartet Singer
- Board Member of Community Foundation for Carver County
What Clients Say
We are a 100-year-old highway heavy construction company. I grew up in the firm and my forefathers have used Melchert Hubert Sjodin for as long as I can remember. I'm of the thinking that if it isn't broken, don't change anything. We've continued to have a good experience and have never shopped fees; the relationship has been much more important.
– Richard W., client since the 1950s
Melchert Hubert Sjodin
Main Street Exchange Building
121 Main Street West, Suite 200
Waconia, Minnesota 55387
Phone: (952) 442-7707