The attorneys at Melchert Hubert Sjodin aggressively advocate for their clients. Managing expectations is the hallmark of our practice. We are upfront with clients about the benefits and drawbacks of each legal option, keeping in mind their financial and personal goals. When cases merit a trial, we will stand by you for as long as it takes.
Melchert Hubert Sjodin litigation attorneys represent individuals in matters involving:
- Alternative Dispute Resolution – Mediation and Arbitration
- Criminal Defense
- Employment Law
- Estates and Probate; Elder Law
- Family Law and Divorce/Custody Disputes
- Personal Injury/Wrongful Death
- Real Estate
- Workers’ Compensation
When you need a zealous, experienced attorney to advocate on your behalf, contact a litigation attorney at Melchert Hubert Sjodin at 952-442-7700.
Alternative Dispute Resolution
In many cases, parties to a dispute want to resolve the issues before they incur the expense, risk and uncertain outcome of a trial. Your litigation attorney at Melchert Hubert Sjodin will represent your best interests and attempt, if possible, to resolve the matter out of court, saving you time and money.
However, in cases where settlement is not possible, the matter may proceed to a trial before a judge or jury. In virtually all cases, the court will order a form of Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR), either through mediation or arbitration, to expedite resolution and reduce the financial burden on the court system of the expense of a trial. The parties to the dispute may also agree on their own to take the matter to Mediation or Arbitration in an attempt to avoid a costly trial.
Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) involves a neutral third party or parties reviewing the facts of the case, all documentation, evidence, and listening to all parties. The third party is a Mediator or Arbitrator, a lawyer with experience in resolving disputes of others.
- Mediation – Mediation is a means of resolving disputes where the parties, each represented by legal counsel, attempt to settle the entire dispute, or parts thereof, through discussions facilitated by a Mediator.
- Arbitration – In Arbitration, the parties present their case to an Arbitrator, or a panel of Arbitrators, who then issues a decision on the outcome of the case. However, unless the parties agree in advance to accept the decision as binding, the Arbitration decision may not be final and the case may still move on to the trial phase.
Mediation or Arbitration is mandatory in personal injury litigation and is also often used in divorce and custody disputes, employment disputes, real estate matters and disputes with a business.
Contact an experienced ADR and litigation attorney at Melchert Hubert Sjodin 952-442-7700 for a consultation to discuss your case.
- Client with serious injuries from a motorcycle crash was awarded nearly $400,000.00 in damages from a Carver County jury after a 3-day trial.
- Client whose vehicle was struck from behind by a cement truck was awarded nearly $100,000.00 in damages from a Hennepin County jury after a 3-day trial.
- Jury verdict in McLeod County for a client who suffered injuries when he fell from a scaffold.
- Jury verdict for underinsured motorist’s benefits in Dakota County for a client who was injured in a motor vehicle crash in Hawaii.