Some clients are hoping for a big recovery, some really want their day in court, and others just want to get on with their lives. With all of them, Keith Sjodin seeks to manage expectations and help all of his clients level the legal playing field.
Keith has supported the growth of Melchert Hubert Sjodin since he joined the firm right out of law school in 1975. In that time, he’s practiced in many areas of law but has focused entirely on Personal Injury and Workers Compensation since the early ’80s. Keith led the firm’s Litigation practice group for many years and served as Managing Partner of the firm for more than 25 years.
His strengths lie in strong negotiation skills honed from more than 40 years of practice. Rather than always playing the antagonist, Keith tries to keep communication flowing. “When you have to take a stand for clients, disagreements with other attorneys or claim adjustors are inevitable, but it doesn’t have to get personal. At the end of the day you can go into the hallway and shake hands and ask your opponent about their family. I’ve done that many times.”
This approach has served Keith and his clients well over the years to move toward a positive resolution, whether through mediation, arbitration or trial. “I always keep in mind that, while the final outcome for each client will be different, my goal is a positive result for the client,” he says.
- U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota
- J.D., cum laude, University of Minnesota Law School
- B.A., magna cum laude, University of Minnesota, Duluth
- Civil Trial Law Specialist
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
- Minnesota Association for Justice
- Past President, Eighth District Bar Association
- Past Member, Minnesota Supreme Court Standing Committee for the Administration of Arbitration under the Minnesota No Fault Automobile Insurance Act
- Eighth District Bar Association Representative, Minnesota State Bar Association Assembly
- Member, Legislative Committee, Minnesota State Bar Association
- Super Lawyer, Minnesota Super Lawyers (2012 – 2017)
- Charter Member and Youth Exchange Officer, Waconia/West Carver Rotary Club
- Faith Lutheran Church Choir